19 Mar The Golden hour Of Wedding Photography
The team at Vision In White are not sure exactly how we found ourselves in March so quickly, but here we are. And that’s not a bad thing, because it means all the gorgeous autumn weddings are just around the corner.
Autumn is a favourite season for photographers. The burnt oranges and reds and the soft yellows as the trees turn, I must say, we love it too. The colours of autumn can create stunning backdrops for weddings.
But we know many photographers who also love autumn because of the additional opportunities it gives them to shoot beautiful images during the Golden Hour.
The Golden Hour (also known as the Magic Hour) is the time shortly before sunset during which the light from the sun is redder and softer compared to when the sun is higher in the sky.
It gives the photographers options. Here’s what they can do….
- Use the gorgeous warm light to soften portrait shots
- Using the light to pick up anything in the air
- Embrace lens flare to add atmosphere to the image
- Indoor shots with light streaming in through windows
- Beautiful or moody skies as a backdrop
- Black and white photos
- Shooting with the sun behind the subject to create beautiful rims of light
- Playing with shadows
The Golden Hour is magic because it can turn a ho-hum run of the mill wedding photo into a stunning, jaw dropping memory for a bride and groom.
So how do you work your wedding around the Golden Hour?
Here are some steps to follow which we found on Kat Stanley Photography’s blog:
- Consult a Sunset Calendar to check the when the sun is setting on the date you have chosen.
- Schedule the ceremony and the reception around the Golden Hour so the photographer can get maximum time with you
- If your times are locked in and you’re missing the Golden Hour between the ceremony and reception, look at ways you can work around it. If the Reception will be in full swing, duck outside with the photographer for ten minutes to snap some images.
- Or schedule a ‘moment’ for this time. Organise a group photo with all of your wedding guests outside during the Golden Hour or if it’s a daytime wedding, slot the farewell into this time and literally drive off into the sunset!
We know there is a lot to think about when you’re scheduling, planning and writing up the runsheet for the wedding day but keeping an eye on the time and capturing images during this Magic Hour could be the difference between good wedding photos or mind-blowing images that will stay in your heart (and on your walls!) forever.
Contact the Vision In White team today on (02) 9687 2443 for your perfect wedding dress.